Curral das Freiras is a small parish surrounded by huge mountains in the heart of the island. Both views of Eira do Serrado and Paredão are excellent places to contemplate the magnificent views of this parish.
The cauldron on which this village is based was formed either by erosion or, as many believe, by volcanic activity. In 1566, the nuns of the Santa Clara Convent, fleeing pirates who attacked Funchal, found refuge here, taking with them the treasure of the convent.
The parish is very isolated, and some of its inhabitants live on what the land produces. One of the local events is the Chestnut Festival in November. Chestnuts are delicious and are used in the kitchen daily.
Curral das Freiras was owned by a couple who sold their land to Captain Donatário of Funchal, João Gonçalves da Câmara. This Captain donated the land to his daughters as they entered the Santa Clara Convent (also built by him).
Today’s Curral das Freiras has a big party. Every year, residents hold the Chestnut Festival – this festival has appeared because there are many chestnuts in the parish, which are used in various culinary delicacies from soup to cakes and puddings to liqueurs.