Are you at home and need something to do?
Experience an online visit to Foz do Douro virtual visit
A project by Emile David (the same landscape architect in the Gardens of the Crystal Palace) built between 1860-1892. The first trees are planted in 1870
The designation of Rua do Passeio Alegre, in Foz do Douro, replaced a very old place name that was not completely lost, because still in the words of the people: Cantareira. Cantareira means or meant, the “poial” where the pitchers were placed, waiting at the source, dates back at least to the 13th century, as mentioned in the Inquiries ordered by D. Afonso III, in 1258.
This Garden has some small buildings that came from Quinta da Prelada when the Municipal Chamber bought this farm in the 19th century. XIX. One is the two Obelisks at the beginning of the east of the Garden, which serve as landmarks on the central path, and the other is the Baroque fountain at the other end of the same avenue.
Quinta da Prelada is located in the area of the current park of the city of Porto, integrating the Mata da Prelada, with centenary trees, former family property. These were its first owners who promoted, between 1743 and 1758, the construction of a summer residence on the farm, a work delivered to the Italian Nicolau Nasoni.
Chalet “Suisso” was built in 1873. Although it was only much later that the gardens were completed (they were opened in 1892), the kiosk or chalet was one of the favourite meeting places of the intellectuals of the time, namely Camilo Castelo Branco, Arnaldo Gama, Ramalho Ortigão, Alberto Pimentel and others. In 1906 it was sold to Charles Frederick Chambers and, later, to the Swiss Jácome Rasker, which should justify one of the designations of the Swiss chalet kiosk.
Urban transports called “American Cars” arrived here in 1872, when the line that connected Alfandega to Foz was opened. The trip cost 80 kings and cars leave every 30 minutes, taking 15 minutes each trip. However, the route would be extended to Matosinhos. The success of this revolutionary means of transport changed the expansion of the city of Porto, allowing the growth of the surroundings of Porto.