The Bishop of Leiria-Fátima said that the 13th of May at the Sanctuary of Fátima will be celebrated without the usual participation of pilgrims, as had already been decided by the Catholic Church.
On April 6, the Shrine of Fatima had already announced that the International Anniversary Pilgrimage of May would be celebrated this year without the physical presence of pilgrims, due to the covid-19, but that the main celebrations would continue.
Although this pilgrimage cannot be lived in the usual way, the main celebrations will take place in the Basilica of Nossa Senhora do Rosário de Fátima, which will be chaired by Cardinal D. António Marto and transmitted by the social and digital media.
“Having information that the Sanctuary of Fátima could make the pilgrimage of 12-13 May with the presence of pilgrims in the prayer hall”, the Bishop of Leiria-Fátima, Cardinal António Marto, “clarifies that the decision is maintained previously announced to hold these celebrations with the enclosure, without the usual participation of pilgrims ”, says a statement.
“The decision of the Catholic Church to follow the directions of the civil authorities to suspend community religious celebrations stems from the responsibility to do what is within its power to not endanger public health, thus also fulfilling the evangelical mandate of love to the next ”.