Portuguese King Cake
- SKILL LEVEL: INTERMEDIATE
- SERVINGS: 18 slices
- PREP TIME: 40m
- COOK TIME: 40m
- READY IN: 3:20 h
Prepare yourself this delicious king cake for your family on Christmas Day.
- 375 grams (2 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry baker’s yeast
- 75 ml (1/3 cup) water
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 eggs
- 25 ml (1 3/4 tablespoons) Port wine
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) margarine to room temperature
- 75 grams (2 2/3 ounces) candied fruit
- 75 grams (2 2/3 ounces) dried fruits
- 1 egg for brushing
- Candied fruit and dried fruit for garnish
- Powdered sugar for garnish
In a bowl, pour the flour and the baker’s yeast and mix with your hands. Add the sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and mix well. Then, pour the water, eggs, Port wine, margarine and knead with your hands until a compact mixture.
Place the dough on a table (preferably wooden) sprinkled with flour. Sprinkle the dough with a little more flour and knead it well until it is fully involved and soft (go sprinkling the dough with flour if necessary). When this process is completed, let the dough rise in a bowl covered with cling film about 1 hour.