- 3 eggs
- 125 grams (3/4 cup) dark brown sugar
- 100 grams (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon liquid caramel
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) softened margarine
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Lemon zest for garnish
For the filling:
- 200 ml (1/2 pint (236 ml)) whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Separate the yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and reserve in the fridge.
- Mix the instant coffee with the milk.
- In an electric mixer, beat on medium speed the egg yolks, the brown sugar and the softened margarine until obtain a quite creamy mixture. Add the milk and coffee mixture, the liquid caramel and mix for 3 to 4 minutes until it’s nicely incorporated. Reduce the mixer speed to low, add the flour mixed with the baking powder and beat until a homogeneous and creamy mixture. Finally, fold gently with a spatula the whipped egg whites.
- Line a baking tray (36 x 30 centimeters (14 1/4 x 11 3/4 inches)) with parchment paper and spread the dough over the top with the help of a spatula. Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes until slightly golden (the time depends on the oven).
- When the cake is cooked, remove from the oven and let cool. Place a tea towel or parchment paper over the cake, flip the cake over a table and peel carefully the parchment paper. Cut with a knife the edges of the cake.
- For the filling:
Whip the cream with the powdered sugar and the vanilla extract until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the filling over the cake with a spatula. Using the towel, start rolling the cake gently from one short end to the other (remove the towel as you rolling). Place the roll cake on a rectangular plate, garnish with lemon zest and serve. Store the roll cake in the fridge.