Summer is synonymous with holidays and long absences from home. It is at this time that, in large cities, empty residences and buildings with no commercial activity are most exposed to theft. So that everyone can enjoy this peaceful break, with no unpleasant surprises on their return, Securitas Direct reveals eight tips for a safe vacation.
Before leaving for days of much desired rest, it is important to keep in mind the following advice:
- Do not leave windows and doors open when you leave the house: It is very important to check that all access to the house is completely closed before you leave.
- It must have lockable locks to make it difficult to open: The locks on windows and doors often deteriorate over time, so it is important to check their condition regularly and, especially, before going on vacation. The door must always be locked to prevent intrusion through the sliding system.
- Do not leave valuables in sight, keep them in a safe: Valuables outside the house attract attention and are a tempting factor for burglars.
- Forwards calls from your phone to your mobile phone: it is important to forward calls to your mobile phone, as a phone that rings non-stop indicates that no one is at home.
- Remember to close the gas connection to prevent leakage
- Use home automation so that the lights turn on automatically: using automatic lighting systems that turn the lights on or off during the day and at night is an effective way to reduce the risk of theft.
- If you travel, keep the exterior appearance of an inhabited house: during your absence, leaving some signs that suggest the house is inhabited: Leaving some blinds open or asking a neighbor to collect the mail may be good strategies.
- Make sure your alarm is working properly. Those who do not have an alarm system can ask a family member or friend to visit the house to check that everything is in order.
Although thefts show a downward trend in Portugal, according to data from the Annual Internal Security Report, they register peaks in the summer months.
The departure for vacation spots or second homes, the absence of activity in industrial properties, as well as the closure of small street stores, make life easier for thieves who, according to data from Securitas Direct, choose the nights and the early hours of the morning, on the weekends, between 00:00 and 05:00, to enter into another’s property.