Necropolis of S. Miguel da Pena
Set of 4 anthropomorphic graves, although 2 of them are more evident, excavated in a rocky outcrop, which reveals traces of support from structures.
GPS coordinates: 41.290649, -7.815272
Panóias is the oldest rock sanctuary in the Iberian Peninsula, and a unique example in the World, because its stones count, in inscriptions, who built it, in honor of what deities, and what rituals were practiced there. Originating from the end of the second century, beginning of the third century AD, this space consists of three large fragments in which cavities of various sizes were carved for the sacrifice of the victims (the animals were killed in one cavity, their blood spilled into another, and the viscera were burned in another cavity).
This place was consecrated by a member of the senatorial order of the time, Serapis, the main deity of the gods of Hell, and also to the gods of Lapitae, the local community of the time.
Contacts: 259 336 322/226 197 080
GPS coordinates: 41.282846, -7.682749
The first reference to the Quintela Tower appears in the Inquiries of D. Afonso III, in 1258; already at the end of the century. XVII, the forums and deadlines received by its master, the Count of Vimioso, are recorded in Tombo da Torre de Quintela. This document contains information that clearly indicates that, in addition to the tower, the estate was composed of other constructions, namely a chapel in honor of Santa Maria Madalena, and a terrace located between the two buildings.
At the beginning of the century. XX its disappearance was imminent but, due to the fact that it was too expensive for its owner to dismantle it, to use the stone, this did not happen. In 1910 it was classified as a National Monument, and in 1982 it underwent restoration work that gave it its current appearance.
GPS coordinates: 41.297453, -7.78029
Diogo Cão’s home
House whose construction is thought to date from the century. XV and where, according to tradition, Diogo Cão was born, the Navigator sent by D. João II on voyages of discovery to the West African, and who arrived at the mouth of the river Zaire in the second half of the century. XV.
GPS coordinates: 41.295083, -7.746585
House of the Marqueses of Vila Real
House where the Marqueses of Vila Real family lived, disgraced by their involvement in the conspiracy against D. João IV, in 1641. It still preserves the battlements and the Manueline-style twin window.
GPS coordinates: 41.296824, -7.745877
Chapel of Mercy
Built in 1532, the Chapel of Misericórdia was funded by D. Pedro de Castro, and its shape remains the same as the original, although its interior has undergone several changes.
On its façade, there is a perfect round arch portico, flanked by false columns that are thought to have been introduced in the 19th century. XVII; between the portico and the bell tower, added later, there is a niche with an image of the Virgin Mary. At the confluence of the side façades and the rear façade there are two niches: the one on the NO side with an image of Santa Barbara, the one on the NE side with an image of Our Lady with the Child.
GPS coordinates: 41.295647, -7.745228
S. Pedro Church
The Church of São Pedro is one of the best religious examples of the Baroque style in Vila Real. The original building, built in 1528, has undergone changes of various kinds over time, until it has the form it now takes. Among these changes, most of them made in the century. XVIII (hence the Baroque style) the tile of the chancel, the introduction of panels on the ceiling, and the construction of the facade stand out.
In addition to the richness of the interior, there is the abundant decoration of the facade, with two imposing bell towers, which make this Church the only example of this type in the historic center of Vila Real.
GPS coordinates: 41.298968, -7.743372
Church of São Paulo/Capela Nova
Capela Nova enjoys a privileged position in the historic center, boasting its grandeur in a simple way, between streets with a traditional character. Built by the Brotherhood of São Paulo in 1639, its design is attributed to Nicolau Nasoni, and reveals typical Baroque marks: externally, worked facade, with majestic columns on each side of the portico, pediment against curved with dynamic elements, surmounted by statue of St. Peter holding the papal cross, flanked by two angels.
Regarding the interior, the main altar and side chapels in gilded wood stand out, and the tiles representing scenes from the life of São Pedro and São Paulo. The small choir on the right side is the place where an organ previously existed.
GPS coordinates: 41.297396, -7.7446
Church of the Lord of Calvary
This temple was built in 1680 at the behest of the Third Order of San Francisco, which, after several interventions, presents its current form. They stand out during the century. XIX the construction of the sacristy and the bell tower; the façade is presumed to have been covered with tiles at the end of the century. 19th or early 20th century. XX.
It is on the second weekend of July that, annually, the city of Vila Real kneels before the passing of Senhor do Calvário, in a procession that is considered the maximum exponent of the Faith of Vila-realenses. Here, thousands of people follow the image from the church of Calvary, passing through the chapel of Misericórdia and returning to the starting point, returning promises, or simply expressing their devotion.
The churchyard of the Calvário Church, the result of the privileged position it occupies, is an excellent viewpoint for the eastern part of the city.
GPS coordinates: 41.300351, -7.742793
Mateus Palace – century. XVIII
The Mateus Palace is considered the most expressive Baroque architectural work in the region. The design of the House is attributed to the famous architect Nicolau Nasoni.
It is inside that you can find the museum section, which, surrounded by beautiful gardens, holds valuable pieces from different eras, from which stand out furniture, decorative pieces, vestments, documents, the library, and a notable edition of “Os Lusíadas ”, From the 19th century.
The architectural ensemble is also composed of the chapel in honor of Nossa Senhora dos Prazeres and the water mirror in front of the facade.
GPS coordinates: 41.297558, -7.713457
House of Brocas
Manor house built by the grandfather of Camilo Castelo Branco, one of the most notable national novelists. There is a headstone on the façade that evokes the writer, ordered by the Serra do Marão Tourism Region.
GPS coordinates: 41.294652, -7.745791
Carvalho Araújo House
House located on Rua Camilo Castelo Branco, where the heroic sailor Carvalho Araújo lived, who died when interposing his ship between a German submarine and the steamboat S. Miguel that was still full of passengers.
GPS coordinates: 41.294478, -7.7457
Chapel of S. Brás
It was built in the century. XIII, this was the first parish headquarters of the city, and houses the graves of illustrious figures of Vila Real at the time, as is the case of João Teixeira de Macedo, nobleman of the Royal House, and Lourenço Viegas, (called “O Espadeiro” ) who was a partner of swords of D. Afonso Henriques.
Its simple lines and devoid of great decorative elements are markedly characteristic of the Romanesque style. It was classified as a “National Monument” in 1910.
Annually, on the 2nd and 3rd of February, the traditional “Festa de São Brás” is held, in which it is traditional for boys to offer the “gancha” to girls (traditional candy that consists of a candy in the shape of a staff).
GPS coordinates: 41.291887, -7.746322
Church of São Dinis
The first reference to S. Dinis appears in 1297, when in this place, in addition to the Chapel of São Brás, there was another, related to the parish of Vila Marim. Later, after enlargement works, the temple took on the shape it now has.
Its austere lines and devoid of great ornamentation elements point to the Romanesque style, although altered over the centuries with the introduction of several new elements. Inside is the image of “N. Senhora a Branca ”that was placed over the portico of the walls of the primitive village.
GPS coordinates: 41.291887, -7.746322
Convent of S. Domingos Church / Sé de Vila Real
The Church of São Domingos, present-day Cathedral, was ordered to erect, together with the convent of the same name, in the 19th century. XV, at the behest of the religious of São Domingos, of Guimarães. In terms of architecture, it receives influences from two styles: the Romanesque, which is the most visible, very evident in the strength and austerity of its lines, and the Gothic. On its facade you can see images of S. Domingos, and S. Francisco de Assis. In 1837 it suffered a great fire that decimated most of the patrimony that it held inside. The tower was added in the century. XVIII, and the stained glass windows were placed during the last intervention works (2001-2005). It is open daily for worship.